Thursday, January 20, 2011

DIY Headboard: "Measure Twice, Cut Once"



The maternal Betty Draper and Don against their plush turquoise headboard.


A little over a year ago I made my own upholstered headboard from scratch.  I used a very pretty floral fabric, but now I’m thinking I may want something a little different.  I have been scouring the Internet for images of upholstered headboards and am really leaning towards an Ikat fabric similar to what was featured in The Single Man, but I’m afraid that I might get tired of it a year from now so a solid color might be best.

Julianne Moore Playing the glamorous Charlotte (Charley) in Tom Ford's A Single Man.    The fabric is Tilbury Lapis by Laura Ashley.  It is available at Kravet.

If you love upholstered headboards and want to try to do it yourself, I encourage you to do so!  It is a long process and you definitely need to plan everything out very carefully, but the end result is so satisfying!  Here is a photograph I took while making mine:

When I went to have the fabric cut, I realized that it would not be wide enough, so I took it to my tailor and had her add several inches of the fabric on either side.   If it’s a solid fabric, it’s an easier task, but if you are using a pattern, this is where you really need to measure and mark where to cut and where to sew on the extra fabric.  There is the expression “measure twice, cut once” for me, its measure 5 times, cut once.  Here is a link to Apartment Therapy with detailed DIY instructions.


Tinsley Mortimer.  Scalamandre fabric headboard by Joseph Hercules.  Photographs featured in Harper's Bazaar.



Blathnaid Behan-designed headboard 

From Design Sponge

Kelly Wearstler

Jacques Grange's bedroom for Mathilde Agostinelli's daughter

From Vogue

Palmer Weiss

I adore designer Lisa Fine's Paris Apartment shown below :

This apartment is inspired by Fine's frequent trips to India and Turkey.
The silk screen was made near Jodphur, India by a tent-maker who she met on one of her trips.  Notice the lavender Ikat sofa and the embroidered headboard. Both the rug and headboard were made in India, and designed by Fine as part of her furnishings business.  She is also a co-designer of Irving and Fine, a company known for their gorgeous embroidered tunics.



 Here is one of Fine's guest rooms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment